Monday, February 18, 2013

Prospective Students' FAQs


Hi everyone! My name is Alyssa Kata and I am a first-year MSI student.  I also work as an Information Mentor, meaning I get the opportunity to communicate with a lot of prospective and incoming students and answer their questions about what it is like to be a student at UMSI.  I thought it would be helpful to write a blog post to answer a few of the questions I get asked most frequently.  So, here they are:

What's Ann Arbor like?
I should preface this answer by saying there will be another blog post coming on the topic of living in Ann Arbor later in the semester.  But from my prospective, Ann Arbor is a great place to live.  There always seems to be something going on at the University, at UMSI, or in the downtown area and there are many great restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc., as well as other cultural pursuits for students to enjoy.  For those who have never been to Ann Arbor, here is a quick video from the Pure Michigan Campaign (puremichigan.org) featuring the city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZjzgPoVUk.

What are some ways students can get involved outside of the classroom in student organizations/extracurricular events?
There are many ways UMSI students can get involved and pursue their interests outside of the classroom, including joining student organizations, seeing guest speakers, and attending and/or helping to plan special events.  For example, an annual event that I participated in this past January was the UMSI Day of Service, where students, staff, and faculty all volunteered to help local organizations either by using some of their “information skills” or by doing things like painting, sorting food, or helping clean up a park.  The group I volunteered with went to the Ann Arbor Ecology Center and we helped their staff with several tasks like performing heuristics evaluations of their websites, improving their database, and updating their YouTube page. Some of the other popular events that UMSI students have participated in and helped organize recently include the A2 Data Dive (http://a2datadive.org/), World Information Architecture Day (worldiaday.org), and Quasi-Con (http://quasicon2012.wordpress.com/).   On a personal note, I attended World IA Day and this is an event that is held in several cities around the world, so it was very cool to see UMSI’s involvement in a larger global community of information professionals, as well as meet some of them on our campus in Ann Arbor.
If you are interested in the types of talks or presentations held at UMSI on a weekly basis, I would recommend checking out the UMSI Events calendar, a resource I find helpful: http://www.si.umich.edu/newsandevents/calendar?tid=51.  On another note, you will notice that many of these events are scheduled around lunchtime, which I have found to be very convenient when I have some time to spare between classes.

What are your favorite things about UMSI?
My favorite thing about UMSI and one of the biggest reasons I chose to come to school here is the people.  I mention this to a lot of the prospective students I speak with but I have found the faculty, staff, and even other students to be very helpful, welcoming, and engaged in the issues that are important to us as future information professionals.  There is definitely a sense of community surrounding UMSI.  I have also appreciated the resources available to MSI students within the larger university and at the School of Information itself.  UMSI has its own Career Development Office, academic advisor, meeting rooms that students can book for group project work, a student lounge, and even an information studies librarian who holds weekly office hours for students.  The building where the School of Information is located, North Quad, in itself is a pretty great advantage of being an UMSI student.  If you haven’t had the chance to visit it yet, I would recommend checking out this page:http://si.umich.edu/node/231.

What is the typical class size?
Another question that comes up a lot is how many students are in typically enrolled in each course.  From my experience, the classes required for all first-year students are the largest.  There are usually two parts to those classes- a large lecture section and smaller discussion sections.  So while my lecture sections have had 100+ students in them, my discussion sections have had about 20 students each, meaning you are able to have much more personalized interaction with the teaching staff.  Other classes I have been in have had anywhere from 25-60 students in them, depending on many factors, including if the course is required for a certain specialization, what time and day it is held, if students from other departments or schools are interested in taking it, etc. Overall, I feel like even in my larger classes there are opportunities for asking questions and for active student participation in discussion of class topics.

What's the MSI student population like?
I was really worried about coming to grad school with only one year of work experience and a limited programming background.  I felt like I might not be able to keep up with some of my more experienced classmates.  However, this fear dissipated quickly as soon as I arrived and began meeting my classmates at orientation.  I realized that there were people with all different levels of experience and from many different backgrounds and undergraduate majors.  You will do a lot of group work in your classes at UMSI and the great part of this diversity is that everyone has something unique to bring to the table.

How is the workload for a full-time student?
In my experience, being a full-time student is basically like having a full-time job.  Most full-time students will take about 12 credit hours each semester (some semesters possibly less if you earn credits through an internship). I think the general rule is that for every credit hour a class is, you should expect to spend 3 hours working on it outside of class and this rule seems pretty accurate in my experience.  Of course, this is just an estimate so some classes may be more and some may be less time-consuming.  My group project classes seem to be the most time-consuming, especially those that involve real-world clients because of the effort it takes to coordinate everyone’s schedules. However, these classes have been especially rewarding to me once I was able to reflect on all of the experience and skills I gained.  Also, even with a full-time course load most students, myself included, are able to hold a part-time job to make some extra money and gain relevant skills. Although all of this sounds a little daunting, there is no need to fear, I have still had time to enjoy the awesome city of Ann Arbor!

I know this likely doesn’t cover all of your burning questions, so please feel free to e-mail me at akata@umich.edu with any others you may have.  As always, I would also encourage you to check out our website at si.umich.edu - there really is a lot of helpful information there as well.  And continue to use the Facebook group for prospective students (or join if you haven’t already): umsi.info/Fall13Facebook to ask questions of current students and staff.  Chances are if you have a question, someone else is thinking about it too!
-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment