Monday, February 11, 2013

Coming to UMSI as a Non-Traditional Student

Has it been awhile since your undergraduate degree? Do you have kids or other family responsibilities? Will you be attending part-time while working full-time? Are you commuting to campus?  If so, you might consider yourself a non-traditional student. You might be nervous about starting grad school, but as someone who was in your shoes two years ago, I am here to help put your mind at ease.

I came to UMSI for a mid-career change and it had been many years since I was last a student. I also had two small children and I wondered if I could handle the work and the time commitment. The program has been challenging, for sure, but it has been the best possible decision I could have made for my career and has already opened up numerous doors and future possibilities.

Becoming a student again
If you’re worried about how it might feel to be in a classroom again, you might be surprised to learn just how valuable your “real world” experience will be. Many classes at UMSI require group project work, sometimes with an actual client. I found my professional experience enhanced these projects and also helped my team. While younger students can learn from your experience, I have also been amazed by the great peers at UMSI of all ages and backgrounds and have learned so much from them in my time here. One of the strengths of the program is its diversity, and you will find other students from all walks of life.

Fitting in all in
One of the greatest challenges for a non-traditional student can be balancing in all the opportunities afforded by UMSI with your home life. While it is not possible to do it all, I think choosing a few outside activities that you care about and will help your outside professional development will be a vital part of your success in the program. UMSI offers a wide variety of student organizations, service opportunities, and networking events.  In my first term, I started out slow, and mainly focused on my schoolwork. Once I felt I had my footing, I started adding more outside activities and projects to my already busy schedule.

Flexibility
If you’re concerned about handling the workload, keep in mind the MSI degree does offer a fair amount of flexibility. If you are attending full-time, you could start with 3 classes instead of 4 in your first term. Many students also take 3 classes in their final term to make time for job searching. You can still graduate within 2 years as you will likely earn extra credit from your summer internship.  

Support
I have found that having a support system in place has been my greatest help in going back to school. In addition to support at home, the UMSI community is a great place to receive help and advice. The UMSI staff and faculty genuinely want you to succeed here and are always available. Your fellow students at UMSI are also a terrific resource and I often receive advice from everything from technical problems to where to get a haircut. UMSI is wonderful community and is welcoming to students from a wide range of backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment