Monday, November 27, 2017

Current Students Spotlight


This past week, we interviewed three current students from the three areas of programs that MSI offers. We asked them questions about UMSI, their backgrounds, and so much more. See below for their responses and get a glimpse at what being in the MSI program is like! (Reminder: our first webinar is this Wednesday at 8AM EST: https://bluejeans.com/993088586)

What is your background experience before coming to UMSI?
Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
My background is a bit unique. I studied hospitality business at Michigan State University, during which time I worked in Las Vegas for a summer internship. After graduation, I worked as an account executive in Chicago for a third-party logistics company. I quickly learned sales wasn't right for me and came back home to enroll as a non-degree student here at U of M during the Fall 16 semester to help me prepare for a graduate degree program in Information. During the time after finishing up SI 106 and starting here at UMSI, I worked as a business analyst intern at Quicken Loans.

UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)  
Before UMSI, I studied Environmental Science and International Studies, both with a focus on health and the environment. I then worked for a bit in an epidemiological research lab here in Ann Arbor before joining the UMSI program.

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year) 
I got my BA in Psychology, and the four years during school, I worked at the circulation desk at my university library.

Why did you choose UMSI?  
Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
The diversity and freedom to tailor our studies. The reputation and success of UMSI graduates and faculty also helped in my decision.

UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)
It was important to me that the program I chose had a lot of resources and connections, great career services, and supported students from various backgrounds. Plus, I went to UM as an undergrad and absolutely love Ann Arbor.

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year)
I had heard before coming here that it is a wonderful program, that it has one of the top Library program in the nation. I also have my immediate family that live in Michigan, so it's both the good reputation in academics and the fact that I have the familial connection to the state.  

What opportunities do you have here at UMSI? How much effort did you have to put into finding these opportunities? Do you get to work with students from other backgrounds and areas of interest?
Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
The opportunities at UMSI, I feel, are endless. I always am hearing about events, lunch, and learns, info sessions, etc, that are going on around campus. Some of these opportunities take some effort in finding. I feel that itrack* is a great resource when looking for upcoming events. So far this semester, I have been able to work with some students from other interests in SI 501, contextual inquiry. Outside of that, my classes are all mainly data focused.
 *itrack is a career-finding system that UMSI uses to help with students' career development.  

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year 
I mean, there are so many interesting events and lectures here that UMSI hosts, and there is a constant stream of information regarding potential jobs, internships, and other opportunities. So that's definitely a multitude of interesting opportunities that are presented to me. While a lot of the information comes to me via e-mail, I would kill for a comprehensive list of activities/lectures/meetings on a weekly basis so I could attend more, I feel like I am always missing something even though I take care to search for interesting things to do. 

How are you managing the tuition and finance?
Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
I use savings from the summer and student loans.

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year)
Oh, a lot of federal student loans really. I also have a work-study job on campus, so that helps a little bit. 

How are you balancing school work, social life, and work?
Data Science (Chris Bredernitz, first year)
Very well. I find that breaking up school work into smaller time commitments throughout the week helps me not to feel overwhelmed. Making time for yourself also helps a lot with busy schedule. It's important to keep a healthy balance between the three that work well for you.

UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)
I think I am still trying to figure this out! I make a lot of to-do lists and keep a paper agenda to keep track of day-to-day tasks. I also use a digital calendar app to keep track of events, appointments, and classes. All in all, it is about knowing your limits and making sure you don't over-extend yourself even though there are so many exciting things happening.


Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year 
I think I am doing pretty okay so far, I have been trying a lot more lately to actually go and do social events that are happening and to hang out with friends more. Socially was really where I was slipping before since I commute and live an hour away. I mean it's still fairly anemic, but I am going to keep trying to get and do things socially around campus. The rest, I think I have been doing fairly well so far. 

What are some of your favorite courses?
Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
Right now, I'd have to say SI 507: intermediate programming and SI 563: game theory. They are my favorite courses.

UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)
One of my favorite courses was SI 501, contextual inquiry and consulting foundations (a required course for all UMSI students). The professor was great, and it really got me excited about entering the information field. I also really love SI 699, developing social computing, which is one of the mastery courses SI students can take. Again, the professor is amazing, and it is awesome to see all our coursework and experiences in the program come together as we work on our class projects.


Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year)
I only have three this semester so far, so it's not really that much of a choice in that regard, but my class SI 580, records and archives, is fairly interesting. 
 
What would you recommend to or say to prospective students? Data Science (Christ Bredernitz, first year)
Explore all the opportunities offered here at UMSI and get out of your comfort zone. You may find an area of study or project that you never thought you'd enjoy that could help fine-tune your focus area. Also, if you are planning on focusing your studies in Data Science, come in with basic knowledge of R language; it will help tremendously.


UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)
Keep going after things that excite you and that you find interesting. Grad school is definitely an investment of time and money, so finding a program that gets you excited and enthusiastic about the information field (or any field!) is important.

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year) 
I would tell them to not to be frustrated about the importance of their interests to the SI program. Coming into the program knowing that you can talk to important people about things in order to show your concerns is definitely something worth knowing.

Tell us one thing you wish you knew before coming to UMSI.
UX Research and Design (Olivia Patercsak, second year)
I wish I'd knew how fast 2 years could go by! UM has so many great resources and opportunities - from libraries and research labs, interesting guest speakers, fun concerts, etc - that made this time go by so quickly and meaningfully. I wish I knew that it'd be so bittersweet to see all the work coming to an end! :')

Library and Archives (Gilliam Goldblatt, first year)  To be honest, I wish I had known a lot more about the Mastery course program. Through advising meetings I've been able to better hash out exactly what they are, and what they entail. 

1 comment:

  1. Every institute required the best piece of writing for the different application or statement. You have to meet deadline to get admission in the best university. Writing a personal statement can be amazing if it is well written. Follow the link below for bets writing.
    Thanks
    http://www.personalstatementwriter.org/distinctive-yale-personal-statement/

    ReplyDelete