Friday, February 13, 2015

Non-Traditional Student? No Problem

Below is a blog post written Dan DiNicola about his experience as a non-traditional student at UMSI. I encourage you to read this post even if you're a more traditional student because Dan shares some great advice and insight into the program and Ann Arbor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the Fall of 2014, I began studies at UMSI, fifteen years after graduating from The University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science.  Deciding to focus on Human-Computer Interaction meant I would be stepping way out of my traditional comfort zone. Now in my second semester, I feel this program is the best decision I’ve made to enhance my career, and I’m grateful for the time I’ve spent here in Ann Arbor.

Employment History and Background: I am a married, fifteen-year veteran of the US Army, who became a proud father for the first time (shortly following midterm exams) during my first semester at UMSI. I feel incredibly fortunate to be here at UMSI as a non-traditional student, and I hope that sharing my experience will encourage others to pursue studies here.

Yes, I’m a Student: In my time on campus, I’ve been confused for a banker, a professor, and, most recently, a student’s parent while attending classes.  Despite the challenges of occasionally having to prove I was a student in order to receive discounts on coffee on campus, and to receive entry into some campus facilities, I’ve enjoyed my time here and have learned quite a bit from my fellow, often much younger, students. 

Admissions Office, Here to Assist: When looking into graduate programs in 2012, I was struck by all that UMSI had to offer – a unique group of students in varying concentrations, with professors and research opportunities that rival any Information program throughout the country. I decided to work with the admissions office to arrange a campus tour and class audit. It was during my visit that I decided this was the program for me. Following my visit, the Admissions office continued to work with me, assisting with the application process, checking in with me periodically, and setting the conditions for my admission, class registration, and eventual arrival.

Employer Assistance / Course Work: I was fortunate to receive a full scholarship from my employer, on the condition that I finish in three semesters rather than four. You may do well to enquire with your human resources professional to see if scholarship opportunities are available to you.  My situation has led to an increased course load. However, managing course work, group projects, and -most importantly- finding balance in my family life are still possible. For those who look to complete the program in less than two years, yes, it can be done.  However, if you’ve got the ability to spend four semesters or longer here, I recommend you consider a light course load your first semester in order to get used to being a student again.

Life Changing Events: Ann Arbor is a great place for a family to grow.  Far and away, the most critical parts of moving to Ann Arbor were ensuring adequate housing for my family and establishing proper health care for my wife and baby-to-be. The University of Michigan’s Von Voigtlander Women’s Center, along with the physicians here at University of Michigan Health Systems, have been absolutely incredible. 

Resources Abound: As a graduate student specializing in Human-Computer Interaction, I’ve found both students and faculty to be extremely helpful, patient with those with less coding experience (like me). I successfully completed a statistics class, having not taken a math-related course in years, by working hard, seeking assistance, and studying with classmates. Everybody here is eager to learn together, and promote a positive environment. I’ve found, particularly during group projects, that what I lack in some academic areas, I more than make up for with actual work experience, leadership, and teamwork. Regardless of your field of study at UMSI, do NOT be intimidated.  Hard work, along with a willingness to request help when needed, will help you succeed.

Thinking about UMSI? Things you can do to prepare include: schedule and take your GRE; schedule a campus tour / course audit; consider Code Academy or other free coding tools / tutorials (regardless of specialization, a basic understanding will help with core classes here at UMSI); and contact current students (the admissions office will help answer questions or put you in contact with a fellow non-traditional student).

Best of luck with your graduate school application process and decision-making.  Consider visiting us here at UMSI! You may just find this is the place for you.


3 comments:

  1. Hiring professional editing services can help writers finalize their writing. Editors for hire not only ensure that essays, books, novels, advertisements or screen plays are written well, they also ensure that the same do not have typographical or spelling errors.homepage

    ReplyDelete