Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Visiting Days

This Saturday through Monday is UMSI’s Visiting Days. I can’t believe that this time last year, I was visiting graduate schools and going to Ann Arbor for the first time. It was my first trip to Michigan, and I didn’t know what to expect. Since I’m originally from California, I prepared for the worst. I stocked my suitcase with boots, gloves, scarves, and coats. The current weather forecast predicts a high of 37-39 and lows ranging from 16-28, so dress accordingly. While many of the events take place indoors, you will be walking from one building to another.

Before attending MSI Visiting Days, I recommend that students think about why they want to go to graduate school, what they hope to get out of the program, and what is needed to achieve these goals. Coming to MSI Visiting Days with an agenda and having a list of questions ready can help you make a decision about which graduate school you will ultimately attend.

For me, I wanted to attend a graduate school that would provide practical application to UX design and research, improve my technical skills, and would provide me with the opportunity to work on meaningful and interesting projects.

I saw MSI Visiting Days as an opportunity to get a feel for the community of University of Michigan as a whole, the student population, and see if it would be a good fit for me. I wanted to learn about the experiential aspects of being a student at UMSI and get answers to questions that may be more difficult to answer in e-mail form. I asked current students about projects that students were working on inside of class, how they were developing portfolios, if they had projects to place in their portfolios, which classes were worthwhile, and information related to internship searches and job prospects. UMSI is very community and service driven, and I wanted to discover if the school’s values aligned with my own. I was able to get these answer through the more formal sessions as well as through the excursion events.

I also found the alumni reception to be insightful. Admitted students have the opportunity to talk to alumni and see the type of work they are doing in the field and how their education at UMSI transferred into the real-world. Students have the opportunity to network with alumni as many of them work in and around Ann Arbor. (Possible internship and part-time jobs hint hint…) Admitted students can also network with employers at the networking fair. This is also a great opportunity to work on your interpersonal skills, see the types of employees and skills that employers are looking for as well as secure a part-time job for summer/fall semester.

If you have already decided that UMSI is the school for you, you may want to use this visit as an opportunity to look for housing for August/September. The housing market in Ann Arbor is a little strange and students usually start looking for housing a year before they move in. If you do have time, you may want to contact a few property management companies or realtors to see their apartment availability and schedule a viewing.
MSI Visiting Days is a wonderful opportunity to get to know the school and the Ann Arbor community. I look forward to meeting you this weekend! Go blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment